Friday, June 6, 2014

Run Away!

It may not be considered honorable to cry "Retreat!," but retreating is something I happily do now and then. Art isn't all advancing, anymore than breathing is all exhaling. Sometimes you need to breathe in, and that's what a good retreat is for.

I attended a very good retreat last weekend, at Pemaquid Point with the Pastel Painters of Maine, a lovely group of artists who graciously allowed me admittance despite my proclivity for painting in acrylic instead of pastel.

Here we are at the Hotel Pemaquid - that's me boldly claiming the foreground!

In a couple of weeks, I'll be leading a retreat to Monhegan! 


M-o-n-h-e-g-a-n!! 
- where the siren's call to artists is so strong that people have been coming there to paint for well over a hundred years!

Many, but not all, of those who will be joining me are my students. 
If you're interested, you can find information here.
There are two sessions, June 22-24 and June 25-27. 
The first session is just about full, and the second, as of right now, has space for two or three more people.

Last night at the opening of the current Saccarappa Art Collective exhibit, I was involved in a conversation about retreats, when I distinctly heard myself say, "I'd like to lead a retreat every month." And that spirit under my breastbone which occasionally makes it wisdom known clearly rejoined, "Why don't you?"

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment