Friday, March 1, 2013

The Sky is NOT Blue




At a party last weekend, the subject of teaching classes came up AGAIN. I have been planning a new class since late last year. I want to encourage people to paint beyond what they think, and into the realm of what they intuit - or what they believe can be. Or what they want. I want to impart a message that despite persistent rumors, the sky isn't always blue, nor does it need to be.

I want to teach people how to turn a square of canvas or paper into a window on a world all their own. I want each of my students to have a painting they've done themselves, that's ready to frame by the end of the course.

Once again, at the party - which happened to be a celebration of a friend's first year in a new creative business - people wanted to hear about this class. They wanted to take my class. Why haven't I begun teaching it after lo these many moons? Fear. Fear of not being able to communicate. Talking has never been my strong suit. Talking while painting - oy.

Ironic, right? I've said I want to encourage people, when I myself suffer from a lack of courage.

"You've just got to shut that b_____ up!" my friend advised. "She dogged me the whole time I was planning my new business. Now she's sitting right on your shoulder, telling you you can't do this."

I'm guessing you've made the acquaintance of "the little voice." You know, the one that says, "You can't do that - who do you think you are anyway?"

So. Determined to shake her loose, I have ordered tabletop easels for my students. Thrown down the gauntlet, as it were!

Classes will commence at Saccarappa Art Collective in Westbrook on six Monday mornings from 10 until noon beginning on March 18. Contact the gallery (link in the nav bar) or me to sign up. I'll need at least five students prior to Saturday March 15. $120 per person, basic supplies included. I'll start with a short demo and some examples, then a bit of color theory. We'll go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment