Monday, May 31, 2010

Gratitude

I am unspeakably grateful for the support of fellow artists. Artists almost always work alone, but the creative impulse doesn't reach its full potential in complete isolation from other artistic minds. When artists get together and share their stories, joys and frustrations over a simple meal, each individual enriches and energizes the group and all other individuals. I'm particularly touched and honored when an artist chooses to purchase one of my paintings for their home, as my artist friend Mary did yesterday. (The image above is actually half of a dyptich entitled Red Line - but for some reason I only photographed one panel! I'll try to update the post at some point after I get around to photographing the other half - Mary, can I come over with my camera sometime??)

I would encourage any artist to join a community - or a few communities - to foster creative and emotional support. Much is made of us being "a breed apart" in more mainstream society. When we connect with each other in the present, just as when we learn about artists of the past, we also connect with our own roots.

Red Line. One of two 12x12" on canvas. 2009

2 comments:

  1. My day, week, month always goes better when I am in touch with my art community. I don't get to see them as much as I need to though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, even though I am a curmudgeon about it sometimes, that social media is a real help to artists who want to stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete